Looking for the best SDS Rotary Hammer? - Bosch SDS Rotary Hammer Review

Bosch 11224VSR 7/8-Inch SDS Rotary Hammer
Bosch 11224VSR 7/8-Inch SDS Rotary Hammer
Bosch 11224VSR 7/8-Inch SDS Rotary Hammer

The very first thing you'll notice about Bosch's rotary hammer is its great ergonomics, which clearly were a significant consideration in the design of the hammer. The grip and trigger mechanism are well integrated, especially the front grip, and of sufficient length to support different body styles (I have long arms; my cousin is the opposite: we both liked the tool's feel). For a rotary hammer, design is particularly critical during overhead and down-drilling operations, where fatigue can easily rear its ugly head. The tool's vario-lock positioning is great; it provides you with 36 different working angles to select from to help you modify the tool to fit the applying. Likewise, the hammer offers three operational modes: hammer only, rotation only, and hammer with rotation. Are there drawbacks? Very few. The bit-changing mechanism is a little stiff and a little cumbersome, perhaps--but that's a pretty minor negative inside a tool that otherwise provides such pleasant operation. The people at Bosch really know what they're doing, also it shows within this tool.
Bosch 11224VSR 7/8-Inch SDS Rotary Hammer

Bosch 11224VSR 7/8-Inch SDS Rotary Hammer Product Specifications



Bosch 11224VSR 7/8-Inch SDS Rotary Hammer Product Specifications

Part Number: 11224VSR
Item Package Quantity: 1
Item Dimensions
Weight: 11.3 Pounds
Length: 23.20 inches
Width: 11.50 inches
Height: 4.70 inches
Bosch 11224VSR 7/8-Inch SDS Rotary Hammer

Bosch 11224VSR 7/8-Inch SDS Rotary Hammer Technical Details

  • SDS-plus® bit system - tool-free bit changes with automatic bit locking, dust protection and maximum impact energy transfer rate
  • Multi-function selector - 3 modes of operation, rotation only, rotary hammer and hammer only mode
  • Variable-speed reversing trigger - for accurate bit starting, in addition to removing fasteners or bound bits
  • Vario-LockTM positioning - rotates and locks chisel into 36 different positions to optimize working angle
  • D-handle design - for extra control, well suited for overhead and downward drilling applications
Bosch 11224VSR 7/8-Inch SDS Rotary Hammer
Best Offer:

|



Bosch 11224VSR 7/8-Inch SDS Rotary Hammer Reviews: 


Almost perfect
By Jeremy R. Brandon "commando" (Ft. Bragg, New york Usa)
My recent acquisition of this drill for the workplace makes two of these that I have purchased and I weren't disappointed with either one. Things i found interesting is that my recent work actually revealed one weakness within the tool's design which i would need to think hard about for just about any future purchase (more on this later). First, the great. This drill plain works. The largest bits that I load into this drill get the job done as easily because the smallest ones. There is no lack of power for any job I've tackled with this drill, and it shows no signs and symptoms of reducing after years useful. The D handle design is a great benefit when drilling as it places your hand and arm good drill bit for easy alignment and effortless work. 


Light pressure is all it requires to keep the part in touch with the job and also the drill does the remainder, allowing me to pay attention to keeping my holes straight and true. The selector switch functions easily and that i like the solid "click" for each position on the dial that lets me know the drill is fully engaged. Bosch upgraded the depth gauge somewhere across the line between my two purchases, and also the newer version works together with no fuss, which makes it a lot more functional, rather than a hassle. 


This is virtually the tiniest class of drill provided with a dedicated hammer-only setting and if you need to do occasional chipping, this is a great tool to have. If you have to perform a lot of chipping and hammering, I'd reccommend a bigger tool. Just remember that stepping up does mean quitting the dedicated drill-only setting. 

I love the accessories available for this drill. I've the 1/2" keyed chuck and also the right angle attachment and have found both to be indespensible. They permit me to make use of one tool rather than two or three in particular situations with hardly any compromise, which makes them worth the investment. The attachments have a drawback however, which leads me into the downsides of the too. Length can definitely be an issue sometimes. The attachments add to the already considerable period of this tool and put a lot of additional weight on the company end, which makes it unwieldy sometimes. 

I recently had to perform a large amount of overhead work, and located myself doing a large amount of juggling. This was in which the length and D-handle design were both curse and blessing. The space was nice because I possibly could reach the work but still keep my hands and arms close in and keep my balance easily (nice when you're working off a ladder). The big downside here is when you're dealing with one hand holding a piece of work in place, and trying to muscle the drill into place. There are drills out there using the motor in a 90 degree angle to the housing instead of in-line like the 11224. I discovered myself sometimes wishing which i had one of those, convinced that it might make life easier (and my arms and shoulders more thankful) Having been an employee with one of these type drills before, I know they have this advantage, but they also can be bulkier in close spaces, so there's a definite trade-off. For many of the work I actually do though, I'd stay with the 11224, without doubt. If you're much like me and getting a second drill, having one of each style might be what you want. 

The last gripe, and that is the plastic case. Bosch definitely designed a mistake switching from metal to plastic. The metal case holds bits and accessories far better and certainly stands up to rough experience every day basis. The only plus with a plastic case is that it's a little calmer moving it around, but I'll trade some noise for better functionality every day.

Great Tool!
By Mathew S. Nelson (Apple Valley, MN United States)
I own a little home improvement/remodeling company. I've used this for some small demo jobs ie: removing porcelain tile with a 1.5" chisel as well as drilling a number of holes into masonry/concrete. It's had lots of power and is effective. The Fit/ finish is great and also the case has lots of space for all my bits. I highly recommend it!

Useful gizmo
By R. J. Mearsha (Fort Morgan, Co)
I'm not a contractor, but I always appear to have some form of project going on that requires quite a number of tools. Previously whenever I desired to drill thru concrete I'd use a heavy duty drill and also have to sharpen the bits frequently. Then I got a 18 Volt Dewalt Drill w/ hammer function which was very successful, if however the hole was very big or there were several holes to drill, this could require extra batteries and the need to sharpen the bits often, but it always got the job done. Then one day a neighbor allow me to borrow his Bosch SDS Rotary Hammer and that i drilled 10 holes in same time that it accustomed to take me to drill one. The next day I purchased my own and also have used it many times. Such a Useful gizmo to add to my collection.

Tough tool
By J. Donald Wood "as seen on tv" (New York, NY Usa)
I was told by many people that I needed a larger tool for that demo job am doing, but rave reviews with this tool here and on the Fine Homebuilding forums, as well as the $200 more I'd have to spend on the next-level Hilti, convinced me to test the Bulldog. I purchased it here if this was for sale with the bit set, that was great, as those bits are not cheap. It has worked wonderful, and I been employed by it hard on old plaster on top of gypsum lath, and cinder block. True, those aren't granite, but I ran this tool as full-time when i had energy for, 8 hours each day and it never even got really hot. Vibration isn't too bad, either.
The feature that lets you reposition the axis of the SDS bit is easy and I utilize it a lot more than I would have thought.

The best small rotary hammer--without question
By Nathan (Pennsylvania, USA)
I've used the big demolition and rotary hammers from Hilti and Bosch as well as a smaller hammer from Hilti. While the Bulldog certainly doesn't have the power of those big monsters, it can be used all night on end without operator fatigue--or tool failure. This tool drills through concrete very quickly and chews through the solid fieldstone our home walls are made of. It's light enough to use while curled up at the back of a little fireplace removing a chimney damper, and powerful enough to interrupt out some 5000 psi concrete during a threshhold demolition. I have found this tool to become ruggedly built and also have not had any service issues in five plus years of ownership. Incidentally, this Bosch can also be my 2-year old son's favorite tool since that threshhold demolition--he calls it the "wowee mammer" and constantly pleads to make use of it.


My experience with the 11224VSR Rotary Hammer
With a Customer
I do lots of brick work, and found myself having to install footings over as well as in lots of hardpan. I purchased the Bosch Rotary Hammer hoping I possibly could avoid all of the pick work which was killing my back. I have to say this machine was very successful. I made use of a chisel bit also it cut with the hardpan like butter. I had been in a position to form my footings by cutting the exact size within the hard soil. I'm penning this review because soon after weeks of 8 hour days using this Hammer, I remarked that along with saving my back, the equipment was quite durable.
Later I cut via a couple of cement flashing along my house foundation to lay some footings and again the Bosch did a great job. Oh.. Used to do try drilling some holes in concrete with complete success. I recommend the Bosch rotary hammer, one of my personal favorite tools!!

If perhaps I'd known...
By B. D HILL "brize_books" (Niles, OH United States)
I think from the times I've spent through the years leaning with all of my might on the regular drill trying to punch holes in masonry. Little did I understand, but utilizing a regular drill on masonry is similar to pushing a nail into wood rather than hitting it. 

I began to catch on when I chosen the hammer drill version of my recent cordless drill purchase. Happy with the performance of that machine, I made a decision to maneuver up to this Bosch corded rotary hammer for many bigger holes I desired. I have not been disappointed. Actually, the very first time I used this unit, I was dumbfounded through the ease that tore 1/2" holes into some old concrete. With this particular unit, I'd need to rate boring in concrete as a minimum of as simple as boring in wood, and far easier than boring in steel. 

Yes, it's a fortune for someone like me who'll utilize it only occasionally. I believe what won me over was the versatility of this machine, using the light chipping work as well as the power to be a high torque regular 1/2" vsr drill. (When purchasing the adapter - about forty bucks). 

A minimum of now I'll be searching for reasons to drill into concrete instead of looking for good reasons to avoid it!



Gotta have tool!
By JohnS (Phoenix)
The Bulldog is simply that. I have tried personally mine to chip out cracked stone flooring tiles, drill holes in concrete, and clean thinset from concrete slab. It has performed flawlessly. I attempted to chip out some steps for a sunken family room. The concrete was too hard and too old. I spent hrs on a Sunday looking to get those steps by helping cover their the Bulldog. I only removed about 1/3 from the concrete, and that i decided the Bulldog wasn't up to that task. I finally rented a large Hilti demolition hammer. I got the steps in about 10 minutes. 

The Bulldog is excellent for small-area tile removal, and drilling small to medium holes in concrete. Even drilling in old concrete is no problem. It bores holes a lot more quickly into concrete than the usual traditional drill with hammer capability. I have also used the Bulldog to chip out exposed stem wall, to obtain a level floor surface for tile installation. This can be a do-it-yourselfer's trophy tool. 

Chipping tiles and concrete produces profuse quantities of concrete, thinset, and tile dust. Keep a store vac hose close to the bit while chipping, and save your house in the ravages of demolition dust. Also employ a shop vac bag that's rated for concrete dust. The regular dust bags help, but they let a lot of dust through to plug up your pleated shop vac filter. 

Buy the Bulldog. It's one dog you won't mind clearing up after!

Useful gizmo!
By John McQuitty (San Angelo, Texas Usa)
Great tool! I've used mine for drilling in concrete and wood - and it works superbly for your - but this weekend I made use of it to chip out some old floor tile and thinset. With a 1 1/2 inch chipping bit that old tile didn't stand an opportunity, and for detaching the thinset, it was particularly awsome. Key phrases listed here are 1) Gets the job done, 2) One tough tool, and three) Hardly any vibration.
1) After a short learning curve, (Attack tile from the corners and where two tiles meet. Attack thinset at 90 degrees to the trowel grooves.) the tile and thinset basically flew off of there.

2) Tough tool. I ran the tool for about two hours straight before lunch and another two hours straight after lunch with only short breaks to pay off debris. It never even whimpered, and was going as strong at the conclusion as after i started. I noticed that it got just a little warm, (So what have you expect?) and I kept checking it, however it never overheated. The Bulldog lives up to its name for toughness.

3) Hardly any vibration. Obviously there's some. It's a hammer-chipper after all. However, for the record, the vibration is minimal - much less than my string trimmer, for example. After four hours working it, my hands and arms were never "numb." I had been impressed. You can chip all day and never get pummelled! The Bulldog is another comfortable dog.

The ability to adjust the angle from the bit is an extremely positive feature. You are able to adjust it as to the ever angle that is best or comfortable. The Bulldog is fairly light weight too. It won't wear you out just carrying it around, however it still packs a wallop.

As I mentioned, drilling with or with no hammer feature is awsome. You can set if for drill only, drill and hammer, or hammer only. This really is one 5 star tool!

Furthermore, the Bulldog is extremely moderately priced. I learned sometime ago that cheap tools are no bargain - but good tools in a bargain price are! This is an excellent tool, and it doesn't cost that much either. By the way, I had another brand rotary hammer - comparable size - that comes dressed up in yellow - sold it. This Bosch is leagues ahead of that other one.

Will it do everything - maybe not, but simply about everything. I do have one of those big elephant-like rotary hammers for that REALLY BIG jobs, but 9 times from 10, I reach for the Bosch Bulldog - also it has got the job done.

By the way - When using it or other rotary hammer, wear safety glasses, a great dust mask, ear muffs, and gloves. Don't skimp on any of those! I understand there are several macho types available that believe that stuff is perfect for wimps. Well listen, Bubba - You ain't industry standard. The "wimps" will be available making money when you are in the emergency room or getting fitted for hearing aids. Put on the security gear! It's very important!